Commissioned Lay Pastor, part time
Barre Center Presbyterian Church, 4706 Oak Orchard Road, Albion, NY 14411
The church is seeking applicants for a half-time position (50%), approximately 23 hours per week, for a term of one year, renewable annually. Several nearby Presbyterian churches are also seeking pastors and we would welcome proposals for pastor-sharing.
Barre Center Presbyterian Church is located in the hamlet of Barre Center with a population of 1,926. A five-minute ride to the north you will find Albion, which is the county seat. We are primarily a rural, agricultural area. The town is within easy driving distance between Rochester and Buffalo. The church was established in 1816 as a Congregational Church and became a Presbyterian Church in 1872. Our present building was built in 1834, with an addition added in 2002 to be handicapped accessible (a lift and bathrooms with facilities for the handicapped).
The church is relatively small in numbers, with a membership of 69 and attendance on Sundays of 20-35. Yes, we are a small congregation, but we have a big heart for missions, our children, and our church family. We currently donate 10% of our contributions to local missions. An annual chicken BBQ is held in August and was first started in the 1950’s. We have an active youth group with 14 children who are late elementary school to high school age who meet once a month. We are blessed to have children/teens in our church who are active in church events, participate in worship and attend Sunday school (enrichment).
Sunday worship is the most important time for our faith family each week. We have an organ and a piano. Due to the restrictions of the Covid Pandemic we are just starting to have fellowship and church life functions again this year. Complementing our Sunday services are extraordinary stained-glass windows and a beautiful sanctuary. We love our building and grounds, but it is the people that are the heart of our church!
What we are seeking in a pastor:
- Pastor to be present, visible, active and inviting in our community
- Pastor will have a vision and will work with our unicameral Session and Board of Deacons in setting our course; will inspire and lead the congregation to work together to accomplish our mutual goals
- Will prepare a lively, clear, inspirational, and meaningful Sunday sermon and childrens sermon
- Will officiate at Communion once per month; baptisms, weddings and memorial services as needed
- Coordinate with deacons and the congregation in visiting sick, elderly and home-bound members
- Pastor should be interested in youth and able to: coordinate youth group, be open to ideas, and to get kids excited about Jesus
- Pastor will help stabilize our membership and develop programs
- Pastor will have a desire to care/know about each of us as individuals
- Pastor will moderate all Session and congregational meetings and work with the Clerk of Session in preparing for these meetings
At 50% of the Minimum Terms of Call established by the Presbytery of Genesee Valley, the 2022 total for Commissioned Lay Pastors approximately $22,000. The pastor will negotiate terms of call annually with the church’s Personnel Committee. This will also include an annual Personnel Review.