BYRON FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The First Presbyterian Church of Byron is seeking a full-time Transitional/Interim Pastor. This is a temporary position. We are in a rural, agricultural area in western New York, approximately 30 minutes from downtown Rochester and about 45 minutes from downtown Buffalo. The exact tenure will be determined by the eventual hire of a new pastor.
The Interim Pastor will lead Sunday worship services, moderate Session, attend committee meetings, provide spiritual care for congregants, guide the congregation in mission and outreach, and assist members in ailing a new pastor.
Church and Community:
We are a fun and active congregation with people of all ages. Sometimes even furry friends come to worship! When it is time to fundraise, participate in community mission and outreach, or even have a monthly coffee hour, everyone pitches in (happily) to share the load, and this is what we expect from our Pastor as well. We are a small congregation in a small town with a large personality and we cannot wait to meet you!
- Ordained and/or Certified-Ready and in good standing with PC (USA) or reciprocal
- Have experience in and/or an understanding of interim
- Willing to be involved with the programs of Genesee Valley
- Provide stability and leadership to the congregation during the transition and search for a permanent pastor.
- Lead weekly Sunday
- Work with the congregation and Session to develop a vision statement and expedite the pastor search process.
- Work with the Church Secretary and Clerk of Session and committee members to create Sunday bulletins and monthly newsletter.
- Lead special services (Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday)
- Maintain at least six published office hours each week
- Visit hospitalized congregants and shut-ins
- Conduct funeral services and officiate weddings
- Administer the Sacraments (communion, baptisms)
- Meet with Music Director monthly to coordinate worship
- Attend and participate in monthly staff and committee meetings (Session, Trustees, Deacons, CE/Worship, Mission, Membership)
- Coordinate with Deacons and CE/Worship Committee to follow-up with visitors (cards, phone calls, visits)
- Preserve receipts and prepare monthly pastor expense vouchers for Treasurer
- We average 40-50 adults/children in attendance each week
- Our Sunday School runs from September through May.
- Although we are a traditional congregation, we constantly add/delete, tweak our programs to stay fre
- We have had a surplus budget for the past 8 years.
- We are just completing a renovation of our 200-year-old church exterior!
- We have a fabulous music program!
- Our Turkey Dinner is the best!
Commensurate with experience, you will be eligible for a multitude of allowances, in addition to your salary that include benefits such as: living expenses, reimbursable travel expenses required by the position, health benefits and more!
Contact for the Pastoral Position:
Byron First Presbyterian Church
P.O. Box 206, 6293 W. Main Street Byron, NY 14422-0206
Clerk of Session: Kim Dewey, 1-585-356-2256
Email: [email protected]