Self-Development of People (SDOP) is not a “normal” presbytery committee in that it relates directly to the national church office for its funding and mission. A portion of the One Great Hour of Sharing offering is given to the national level of SDOP, which is then allocated to the presbytery-level committees.
The Presbytery of Genesee Valley awarded the following grants to organizations that fit the definition of a “Self-Development” group.
- The Community for Social Justice (Rural and Migrant Ministry); $5,000 for educational work.
- Unity NE Surveillance Pilot Project; $1,030 for starting a “Neighborhood Watch” style project.
- Remington Super Urban Project Porch Security Pilot Project; $525 for starting a “Neighborhood Watch” style project.
- Eastern Service Workers Association; $2,500 for expanding its community organizing work.
- NEAD CDF Freedom School; $5,000 for mentoring and entrepreneurship of inner-city residents.
Here are other recent SDOP Grant Recipients-rev 3-2015