Committee on Preparation for Ministry assists inquirers and candidates as they prepare to become Ministers of the Word and Sacrament. Meets 1st Wednesday 5:30pm @ CRCDS.
Welcome to CPM!
This listserv is intended to foster communication among CPM members and inquirers and candidates. All CPM members and all inquirers and candidates currently under care of the Presbytery of Genesee Valley have been added to the list. Replies can be sent as “reply all” to go the entire group or just “reply” to go to the sender.
Here are some ways this new form of communication might be used:
- To share resources (Examples: Where to go for career counseling, for courses to help prepare for ords, links to denominational resources for the inquirer and candidate process, spiritual direction.)
- To ask questions (Examples: How do I apply for financial aid? I failed one of my ords and I’d like to talk to another candidate; can someone help me?)
- To clarify procedures (Examples: Explanation of process of moving from inquirer to candidate status, flow chart of the entire process of inquiry and candidacy.)
To use the list just send email to[email protected]. Please note that messages can only be sent from e-mail addresses which are part of the list. So, if you change your address, be sure to let Beth Weaver know so we can update the list.
Membership: 12–18 (equal number of elders and ministers).
To enter into a covenant relationship with those preparing to become Ministers of the Word and Sacraments so as to ensure that those who are to be ordained receive full preparation for their task.
The Committee on Preparation for Ministry not only assists inquirers and candidates as they prepare for ministry but it also provides nurture and care for those enrolled as inquirers and candidates under care.
The Committee Shall:
- Be authorized to act on behalf of the Presbytery of Genesee Valley in accordance with the Book of Order section G-2.0601 – G-2.0610.
- Meet with sessions when a member of the church desires to become an inquirer in order to provide an orientation to the preparation process, and instruct sessions as to their role in the inquiry and candidacy phases.
- Interview prospective inquirers and enroll them as Inquirers or grant their withdrawal from the process if so requested and report that action at the next Presbytery meeting in accordance with the Book of Order.
- Provide consultation and guidance during the inquiry phase, ensuring that all requirements of the Book of Order are met.
- Confer with inquirers and review evidence that they are ready to proceed to candidacy, making a definite recommendation to the Presbytery with respect to whether the inquirer should be received as a candidate.
- Provide continuing consultation and guidance during the candidacy phase, in order to determine whether each candidate to be ordained has fully demonstrated readiness to begin the Ministry of the Word and Sacrament or grant withdrawal from the process if so requested and report the same to the next Presbytery meeting as required by the Book of Order.
- Consult annually with each inquirer and candidate as required by the Book of Order, and report such actions to the Presbytery.
- Recommend to Presbytery for election readers for candidates examinations.
The Committee on Preparation for Ministry, along with the Committee on Ministry and the Clergy Care and Development Committee, has additional responsibilities as outlined in the Candidate Indebtedness Policy of our Policies and Procedures Manual.
John DeHority – Co-Chair
Rev. Bill Hockey
Rev. Dr. Nancy Lowmaster – Co-Chair
Rev. David Pepper
Rev. Dr. Eileen Borduin Vanderzwan
Rev. Twyla Boyer
Rev. Tom Gardner
Rev. Walter Stuber
Rev. Amy Williams Fowler
Resources and Documents at PC(USA) for Candidates and Inquirers
Committee on Preparation for Ministry Forms required for each step of the process. Includes description of the process and instructions for their use.